Welcome to Department of Botany
Department of Botany was established in 1991 with undergraduate course . The department has spacious well equipped labs and instrumentation room with sufficient number of required instruments. The department is blessed with a team of qualified and dedicated lectures who are developing consistent pattern and novel methodologies to equip the students with fundamental concept, technical skills and strategies. In addition to teaching, the faculty members and students are actively involved in research.
One of the pioneer departments of the college established in the year 1991. Striving to cater the needs of the life science students. To expose the students to the latest developments in the field of life sciences. Biotechnology was offered as an elective and later as one of the subject along with Botany.
The department is having adequate highly qualified & well experienced faculty. The faculty members have been updating the knowledge by attending various national & international symposia &workshops.
- The faculty puts in constant effort to identify the strength and weakness of the students and guide them accordingly in their academic planning, implementation and presentation. This has resulted in consistent excellent success rate of the students with the outgoing students pass percentage always being between 95 - 99% (always higher as compared to Osmania University pass percentage) and the students always featuring the Osmania university toppers list.
- To empower women and bring their holistic development, the department organizes various activities like symposia, orientation programmes, conferences, National Seminars and exhibitions. These activities helps in personality development of the student, to bring in their inner talent, improve their managerial skills and organizing capabilities and make them environmentally aware and socially committed citizen.
- The Department has excellent facilities for teaching and research in botany, Modern Biology and Molecular Biology.
- The department is equipped with a computer having internet & printer facility. It also caters to the needs of the students in projects/ presentations.
- There are two spacious and well ventilated laboratories as well as a culture room fitted with A.C. Instruments like CO2 incubator, Orbital shaker, Laminar airflow, Hot air oven, Autoclave, Centrifuge , Colorimeter, hotplate, digital weighing balance, Magnetic Stirrer, Soxhlet apparatus, Double Distillation plant, Herbarium press, etc., are kept in a separate instrumentation room.
- The department also maintains a Herbarium.
- The department is having a web page in the college website and maintains a Blog- "biobotstpious". The notes for latest topics are provided online to the students and are also encouraged to submit online assignment. Online tests are also conducted.
- Faculty participate actively in organizing as well as attending National seminars and presenting papers to update their Knowledge.
- Department has the credit of organizing Neighbourhood activities as a regular phenomenon to inculcate social responsibilities among the students.
- Students bagged I &II prizes in various competitions held at outside in intercollegiate level and organizations.
- Students have been placed in reputed companies like Sutherland G.E.Synchrony and Wipro.
- Nearly 75 percent of the students are pursuing higher education in various universities and abroad.
The department started botany-Club in the year 2005 under it banner each year different activities were organized in the college like cleaning the campus, Eco aware, Rally of "Say no to plastics" etc.
Research & Projects
To inculcate scientific temper in the young minds, the department trains the students in basic research techniques in biotechnology and takes up minor research projects mainly aimed at job oriented industrial training.
|Head of Dept.
||Smt.G.Jyothir Mari M.sc Botany
|Other Faculty members: